The Cell movie

Dialogues and Scenario for  The Cell movie




[WHINNIES]

Thank you for the horse.

- You liked him?
- Oh, it's beautiful.

But I thought we were going sailing today.

You promised.

[BELLS TINKLING]

Well, that one's too old.

See, now? That'll do.

Come on.

Come on, Mr. E.

- It's broken.
- Who says?

Mokelock.

Now, Edward, we agreed.
No more Mokelock.

Mokelock is the bogeyman.

- Mokelock wants me where I am.
- We can fix it.

[EDWARD GROANS]

Edward.

[GROWLS]

[EDWARD CRYING]

Sing a song of sixpence.

Sing a song of sixpence.

CATHERINE:
A pocket full of rye.

MIRIAM:
Four and 20 blackbirds.

CATHERINE:
Baked in a pie.

MIRIAM:
Rise and shine.

Mr. E is doing fine.

Did we go sailing?

Almost.

- Mokelock showed up.
- Mokelock is the bogeyman.

Mokelock wants me where I am.

Mokelock is a pain in the ass.

HENRY: Where'd he get Mokelock again?
CATHERINE: Mother Goose.

BARRY: Henry.
HENRY: Barry.

What's the matter, Barry?

Edward's, uh, parents are here.

MRS. BAINES:
He needs a haircut.

CATHERINE:
He loves it when you visit.

My husband wonders if that's true.

He wants to place Edward in a hospital.

I'm sorry, Catherine.

[CATHERINE SIGHS]

HENRY:
Mr. Baines.

I've been working on this project
for seven years.

I know, Henry. I know.

Please don't take offense, Dr. Kent.

- Your work's invaluable to this company.
- But you're not sure about me.

We've waited, uh, 18 months
for signs of progress.

- There has been progress.
- There's no proof, Catherine.

With all due respect, Mr. Baines...

...I'm not the one
who designed the procedure.

I wish I could take credit
for it, but I can't.

I was chosen to do a job.
They picked me.

But if you think there's someone better...

...or someone who's more devoted
to your son, then--

No one's doubting your ability.

- What is it, then?
MR. BAINES: There's no proof, Catherine.

There's no proof the procedure works.

All you're giving me is the belief...

...that your interaction
with my son is not a...

...hallucination.

I better get back to work.
Goodbye, Mrs. Baines.

- Thank you.
- Thank you. Thank you, Mr. Baines.

MR. BAINES:
Come, shall we? Lucien.

- Lucky she worships you.
- Why? Because he hates me?

I wouldn't say "hates."
Distrusts, dislikes immensely...

...can't bear the sight of.

[MIRIAM CHUCKLES]

What's the verdict?

Well, we've got another six months...

...and Barry had to push for that.

I wanna reverse the feed, Miriam,
now more than ever.

We've been through this a hundred times,
Catherine. It's too risky.

Why not? What do we have to lose?

When I did social work,
it was always better...

...when we took the kids out
of their environment.

Foster homes can be scary at first...

...but eventually they see
things can be different.

Edward is like that right now.

He's living in a world that is not healthy.

- Let's show him a different place.
- All right. Let's say we do it your way.

We reverse the feed
and we bring Edward into your mind.

Can you imagine his shock when he finds...

...he's been thrust
into this whole other world?

- I do it all the time.
- Yes, but you're a willing participant, Catherine.

You're aware of what's happening.
Edward's in a coma.

And besides, we don't know
what effect it will have on you.

I mean, you're already exhausted.

- Have you been sleeping?
- Yes.

- Any more nightmares?
- No.

- No.
- Good.

Leave work here.
Don't take it home in this.

[CHUCKLES]

[CAT MEOWS]

[MEOWS]

Hey, you.

What are you looking for? Hmm?

Want some milk?

[MELLOW R&B MUSIC
PLAYING OVER SPEAKERS]

CATHERINE:
Edward.

[WOMAN SCREAMING AND SHOUTING
INDISTINCTLY ON VIDEO]

[WOMAN CRYING ON VIDEO]

[SLOW FUNK MUSIC
PLAYING OVER SPEAKERS]

WOMAN [ON TV]:
That's fun. Let me try it.

MAN [ON TV]:
Not so much power. The animal is delicate.

[TV CHARACTERS GRUNTING]

[BIRD SQUAWKING]

CATHERINE [THINKING]:
Edward, is that you?

Edward, were there seals
being killed on the beach...

...while you were sailing?

Don't hide, sweetie, please?
Edward, is that you?

Don't be afraid. No one will hurt you.

Edward, is that you?

Go to sleep.

[WOMAN WHIMPERING
AND SOBBING ON VIDEO]

[WOMAN SCREAMING ON VIDEO]

WOMAN:
Daddy!

Help"

Somebody, help me!

[BARKING]

[GRUNTING]

WOMAN:
Help me!

[PANTING]

[GRUNTING]

[YELLS]

[CHATTERING]

- Thanks for waiting, Cole.
- Teddy Lee, no problem.

Special Agent Ramsey.

- Cole.
- Morning.

Who found her?

COLE: The surveyor for the railroad,
about 6 this morning.

Skid marks appear to match
the tire tracks from Reno.

And it looks like he scraped the rail,
lost some paint too.

It's on its way to the lab already.

Dumped the body over there.

[SNIFFS]

Bleach.

RAMSEY:
Anne Marie Vicksey. She makes seven.

Jeez, this stinks.

- Do they all look like dolls?
TEDDY: Every unfortunate soul.

COLE: What's that?
- Some kind of a collar.

- Part of his methodology.
- The way he puts it there?

He makes it for them.

It makes him feel they belong to him.

NOVAK:
ls the water always this low?

Yeah, this time of year.

Give me a coroner's report right away.
Preliminary forensics too.

I don't want anyone dragging
their ass on this.

- So how was work?
- Ugh. Exhausting.

MAN [ON RADIO]: Sugar prices fell back
Tuesday from last week's 15-month high.

Near-term sugar futures eased 0.11 cents...

...to 7. 7 cents a pound.

Last week
the U. S. Agriculture Department said...

...sugar production was expected
to drop 6.5 percent this year...

...the first decline in...

[DISTORTED VOICES]

MAN:
Sugar cane is frequently being used...

...for alcohol production rather than food.

RAMSEY:
I have no idea, Jeannie. For God's sake.

Good luck with the monster.
I love you too. Gotta go.

JEANNIE [OVER PHONE]: Okay. Thanks. Bye.
- All right. Bye-bye.

Hot off the presses.

TEDDY:
Oh. There's nothing new to report, gentlemen.

A match on his semen.

Water in her lungs...

...show high levels of chlorine and rust.

What pray tell is this?

They say they found some dog hair?

- From a K-9 unit?
- No. There was no K-9 unit.

And Anne Vicksey doesn't own a dog, Teddy.

I wanna see this.

What you got, Teddy?

TEDDY:
Hmm.

[TEDDY CHUCKLES]

[TEDDY CHUCKLING]

Hypomelanosis.

And that means?

A complete absence of melanin.

The dog is an albino.

He'd love an animal like that.

TEDDY:
Gentlemen...

...l believe an albino dog
is a rare animal indeed.

[CAR ALARM CHIRPS]

[DOG YELPS]

[DOG GROANS]

[WHIMPERING]

Oh, my God.

You're gonna be okay.

Baby, I'm so sorry.

[GRUNTING]

[MUFFLED CRYING]

Jesus Christ, Peter.

Thought you were gonna get some sleep,
clean yourself up.

I did.

- They're waiting, you know.
- I'm ready.

Let's go. Ahem.

NOVAK:
We're gonna do this two ways.

Breeders of German shepherds.

Ford dealers.

I want you to be thorough,
and I also want you to be fast.

This guy's accelerating.
He only waited six days this time.

When he first started, months could pass.
And that means one of two different things.

One, he thinks we're stupid
and we can't catch him.

Two, which is the one that I believe,
he wants to be caught.

The dog hair thing is sloppy.

He leaves Anne Marie Vicksey
in three inches of water.

He knew that we'd find her.

Now, there's one thing
I know for certain.

If we can't stop him...

...he ain't gonna stop himself.

Will this be all right?

Yes, ma'am, that's great.
Thank you very much.

She was still, uh, living at home, ma'am?

We were looking for apartments.

But they're not moving in together
until after the wedding.

Julia wants to be married.

Did she ever mention anything
out of the ordinary?

For instance,
somebody she recently met...

...or somebody perhaps watching her,
following her?

No.

[CELL PHONE RINGS]

Pardon me.

Ramsey.

WOMAN:
What if you made a mistake?

Maybe this isn't the man.
Maybe Julia's safe.

There's certain things that he does...

...that, uh, make us pretty positive
that this is the man.

WOMAN:
Last year, I lost my husband to cancer.

I went through such terrible pain.
But Julia, she was always there for me.

[WOMAN SOBBING]

What's going on, Gordon?

Riverside sheriff found
a dog breeder in Woodcrest.

Three years ago, she had a buyer
for an albino shepherd pup.

Sheriff checks DMV.
Son of a bitch drives a '92 Ford pickup.

- Guess what color.
- Aqua green.

Ramsey!

- Novak!
- Where is he?

Edison, just east of Lorna Park.

SWATs had the house under surveillance
for about 20 minutes.

Carl Rudolph Stargher.
No registered weapons, no priors.

Got a license for his dog, though.
Named him Valentine.

Ha!

[SIRENS WAILING]

You're the bad man. Aren't you, Carl?

[SINGING INDISTINCTLY]

[GRUNTING AND GASPING]

[TIRES SCREECHING]

[DISTORTED VOICE SPEAKING]

Brock, Agent Ramsey, Agent Novak.

We got here as fast as we could.
I briefed them on the way over.

Where do we stand?

Here's the situation.

We got a high-ground team on the roof...

...a four-man element to the east.

We got an entry team in the van
across from the house...

...a two-man element to the south.

- Have you seen him yet?
- No.

There's been some movement
in the kitchen. Can't tell what it is.

RAMSEY: You think the girl's in there?
NOVAK: We'll proceed assuming that she is.

AGENT 1: FBI! FBI!
AGENT 2: Go!

Freeze, motherfucker!

MAN 3:
FBI! FBI!

[AGENTS SHOUTING INDISTINCTLY]

[BARKING]

I got the dog!

- Clear.
- Clear.

They'll take him to County General.
Reid's already there.

Make sure he stays cuffed.
I want two men on him at all times.

I don't want anyone
to treat him but Reid.

Not so much as a thermometer
up his ass, understand?

Mm.

- Peter, she's not here.
- Yeah.

You should, uh, come downstairs.

[WOMAN CRYING ON VIDEO]

WOMAN:
Mommy!

Please take care of my little baby!

[CRYING]

Hello? Hello?

Please, is there anybody there? Hello?

Can you hear me?

Can you hear me?

Hello?

I didn't see your face.

I didn't see...

...any part of you.

This is not happening to me.

I can't believe this is happening.

Have you ever heard
of Whelan's infraction?

It's a form of schizophrenia.
It's very rare, and it's very severe.

In any schizophrenic,
these areas would be affected...

...but in someone with Whelan's,
they're hit hard and they're hit fast.

Can't you load him up
with Thorazine or Desoxyn?

REID:
Normal psychotropics don't work.

This thing is caused by a virus that
infects the neurological system in utero.

It lays dormant until it's triggered
by some kind of trauma.

Most likely, he's exhibited symptoms
for some time...

...but the infraction,
or the breach, didn't occur till today.

The triggers can vary.

Uh, usually water-related,
but the results don't vary.

He's not just catatonic.

He's disappeared.
Like having a dream and never waking up.

- For how long?
- Oh, forever.

[RAMSEY GRUMBLES]

Lee, I think we might be missing
the bigger picture here.

Now, whatever state
that he happens to be in...

...there is a girl that is missing
and her name is Julia Hickson...

...and he is the only one
that knows where she is.

He keeps them in this thing
for about 40 hours.

Now, he took Julia Hickson
at 7:30 last night.

Peter, you know me.
If there were anything, anything...

What?

[WOMAN COUGHING ON VIDEO]

He provides them with food,
drinking water and a toilet.

Now, she thinks she's been kidnapped,
that there's a chance of survival...

...but it's just a form of torture.

This is a kind of ritual for him,
a cleansing before he takes them home...

...and turns them into a doll, a toy.

[WOMAN SOBBING ON VIDEO]

Now, this thing is fully automated...

...and unless we find her by tonight...

...this will happen to her.

At the request of Mr. Cooperman...

...we've contacted your board of directors.

And they've given their approval.

And so have Edward's parents.

But the decision is yours.

Henry?

Yes.

- Miriam?
- It's up to Catherine.

She's the one who'd have to face
whatever risks there might be...

...so I support whatever decision she makes.

- Can I ask you something?
- Please.

If he wasn't like this,
if he was conscious...

...do you think that he would tell you
where she is?

There's always a chance
of a confession. Yeah.

And there's things he's done
that show a need for disclosure.

He hasn't had a sympathetic ear.

He wants someone to listen,
to, uh, try and understand him.

Look, I feel for this girl, I do...

...but Stargher may no longer
know the truth.

For severe schizophrenics...

...there's no discerning
between fantasy and reality.

- Is it possible?
- If he came to trust me, yes...

...but it takes months
to earn that kind of trust.

Is it possible?

WOMAN [ON VIDEO]:
Daddy?

I'm your little baby. Baby...

Daddy.

Daddy!

I'm daddy's girl.

His levels are too flat.

MIRIAM: What happened here?
- We removed 14 steel rings.

Should have left him the way he was.

He used to suspend himself, didn't he?

Yeah.

They're comforted by the feeling
of weightlessness...

...like floating in water.

Now this, gentlemen, is the catalyst.

The neurological connectic
transfer system...

...not only maps the mind...

...it sends the signal to another party.

All you need to do is tune in...

...but you do much more than tune in.

You become part of the show.

MIRIAM:
He's ready.

Why are there three stations?

We tried joint therapy sessions...

...two shrinks for the price of one,
but Edward hated it...

...and only talked to Catherine.
She has a gift.

The fabric has a special polymer...

Are you sure?

I'm sure.

Okay.

Response signal.

Functioning.

We implanted a touch-sensitive microchip
in her hand...

...so if she wants to stop the session...

...or if it gets too intense,
she can give the signal...

...and we abort.

When we were ready
for practical testing...

...Miriam and I auditioned...

...some of the best child therapists
in the country.

And all they did was observe and report,
nothing more.

HENRY: Catherine was the least experienced,
but she came so highly recommended...

...that we decided, what the hell,
we'll give her a shot...

...and immediately,
we could tell she was different.

[VOICES SPEAKING INDISTINCTLY]

[MAN SPEAKING INDISTINCTLY]

MAN: You're not human.
You don't lie in my house.

You're an animal!
This is my house.

[BOY WHIMPERING NEARBY]

Hey!

[CLOCKS TICKING]

Hey, you.

[HORSE SNORTING]

Yeah, you like that, don't you?

Is your name Carl?

You know, I know another little boy
with a horse.

His name's Edward.
I mean the boy, not the horse.

[WHIRRING]

What's wrong?

[HORSE SCREAMS]

[HEART BEATING]

[PANTING]

His victims.

[CLANGING NEARBY]

[BUZZING]

[WOMEN MOANING]

[GRUNTS]

[WOMEN MOANING SOFTLY]

[WOMAN SCREAMS]

Where do you come from?

[SCREAMS]

[RAMSEY SNORING]

[PHONE RINGS]

- Yeah.
HENRY [OVER PHONE]: Gentlemen, she's back.

I'll be right there.

MIRIAM:
All right. Come on, Catherine.

[PANTING]

HENRY:
She's had quite a journey.

Unlike anything we've ever seen before.

- So she's made contact?
- Oh, yes.

She's gone very deep into his world.
At times too far.

- It's cold.
HENRY: That can be dangerous.

What are you talking about?

Well, if she came to believe
that Stargher's world is real...

...then theoretically,
her mind could convince her body...

...that anything that was done to it there...

...is actually done.

It's like the old wives' tale
where you die in your dream...

...you die in real life.

Henry, could you raise
the temperature in here?

- Dr. Kent?
MIRIAM: Just a moment, please.

Can I come in there
and speak with her?

We have to be patient.

I mean, look at her.
She's drowsy. Let her wake up.

We don't have a lot of time.
Do you understand that?

[THUDDING]

[SHRIEKS]

[SOBBING]

Our Father, who art in heaven...

...hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.

NOVAK:
Am I interrupting anything?

Is it okay if I...?

He knows you're here, doesn't he?

My friend, uh, Dr. Reid, said...

...that it's very unusual, uh,
schizophrenia that is...

- ...in a child that's this young.
- They usually think it's autism.

What you have to understand is
there's nothing wrong with his body.

What's paralyzed is a part of his mind.

It's so damaged by the virus
he can't even will himself to move.

You think you can change that?

Do you believe
there's a part of yourself...

...that you don't show anybody?

I think everybody
has that side of themselves.

During a session, when I'm inside...

...I get to see those things.

I feel them.

With Stargher, I felt things
I never wanna feel again.

He's not even Carl Stargher anymore.

He's this idealized version of himself,
a king in a very, very twisted kingdom.

It's the place for him to indulge every...

You know, I don't wanna talk
about this in here.

I could never do what you do...

...devote myself
to understanding a mind like that.

I don't think we'll ever be able
to understand a mind like that.

But you try. That's your job.

I guess so.

- You don't like what you do?
- I like it better than my old job.

Used to be an attorney. I was a prosecutor.

What happened?

I had a case, uh,
where this little girl was molested.

And because of this
one tiny piece of evidence...

...that was tainted, he walked.

Charles Gish walked away.

Nothing I could do about it.

The night after he was released...

...Margaret's parents came home.

That was the little girl's name,
Margaret Sims.

And they found Charles Gish
sitting in their living room.

He was watching television...

...and Margaret was sitting next to him...

...and he had cut her open
right down the middle.

And the parents found
Margaret's heart in the freezer.

Charles figured
they'd probably wanna keep it.

After that,
I left the DA and joined the FBI.

Figured I'd just try to catch them.

Till now.

Yeah.

You know, I started to tell you
that Stargher really isn't Stargher anymore.

Well, that's true, and it's not.

The dominant side
is still this horrible thing...

...but there's a positive side that--
- Positive side?

Well, the way he sees himself as a child.

- But isn't that him?
- The boy Stargher made contact.

He's curious about me.

If I could reach the boy,
then maybe he'd tell me about Julia.

What ever happened to Charles Gish?

Old Charlie beat the murder rap because, uh,
he was insane when he killed Margaret.

His attorney, uh, milked the jury
for all they were worth.

Said that a life of sexual abuse
drove him to do these things...

...and, you know, what ever the fuck.
All that same old bullshit. Heh.

Why is that bullshit?

I believe a child can experience...

...a hundred times worse the abuse
than what Gish went through...

...and still grow up to be somebody
that would never, ever...

...ever hurt another living being.

And you're sure of that?

Yes, I am.

I'm sure of that.

[DOOR CLOSES]

Hey, where the hell you been?

I've been right here.

Well, next time tell me, okay?

I didn't wanna disturb you.
You looked so cute.

You're all sleeping
when you get that look on you.

Your colleagues wanna know
what to do with, uh, Stargher.

Tell them to prep him. I'll be right there.

Thank you, Catherine.

Stargher have any pets?
You know, cats, dogs...

Yeah, you're a good boy,
aren't you, Valentine?

- That's supposed to help?
- On a subconscious level, yes.

Anything that was special to Stargher,
gave him pleasure...

...should make him more accessible...

...more peaceful.
- Peaceful?

MIRIAM:
That's enough, then.

[VALENTINE WHIMPERING]

MIRIAM: Mr. Novak.
- Doctor.

- Thank you.
- You got it.

Round two.

[VALENTINE WHIMPERING
THEN YELPING]

[ALARM BUZZING]

CATHERINE:
Henry, not funny.

- What's happening?
CATHERINE: Not funny, Henry.

HENRY: Catherine.
- Come on, stop playing around.

HENRY:
I'm not. It's a power problem.

We're locked out, Catherine.

I need you to check the circuit breaker.

I want you to check circuits
six through 12.

- Come on. Get up.
CATHERINE: Mm-hm.

HENRY:
Six through 12.

I'm already in.

What did she say?

CATHERINE:
Valentine.

Come here, boy.

Valentine.

[BARKING]

Can you take me to Carl?

Need some help?

I've got a present for you.

If you need me...

...or if you feel like I'm around,
but you can't find me, just...

Shine it like this.

Go ahead, take it.

You like it?

CARL'S FATHER: Carl?
- What's the matter?

What? What's wrong?

CARL'S FATHER: What happened over here?
Just broke all by itself.

- Did you break that plate?
CATHERINE: I broke the plate.

- Did you break that plate?
- I broke the plate.

Well, hey. Let's break them all,
how about that?

You little fucking liar!

I should've drowned you
like the runt of the litter.

You don't lie in my house.
This is my house!

[WOMAN SPEAKS INDISTINCTLY]

CARL'S FATHER:
A doll? Those are for girls, you dumb whore.

WOMAN: It's just a toy.
CARL'S FATHER: Shut up!

You're not his mother!
She's not your mother.

She left us, Carl. Remember that.

[CARL WHIMPERING]

See that? See that?

That is...

[HIGH-PITCH WHINING]

...a place of evil.

What the fucking cripes?

Jesus Christ.

What the fuck is this?
Get back, get over here!

Playing with dolls? You little faggot!

What are you,
some kind of a woman? Get up!

CARL: But, Dad-- Aah!
CARL'S FATHER: Damn it.

You want something to cry about?

I'll give you something
to cry about, woman!

CARL: Aah!
- Mama's boy!

I didn't raise no faggot!

[SOBS]

[CARL GROANING]

Christ.

Stop your crying.
You wanna iron like a woman?

- Let me show you how to iron.
CATHERINE: No!

[IRON SIZZLES THEN CARL SCREAMS]

WOMAN:
Help me.

CARL:
She...

She was my first.

And I made such a mess.

Didn't know what I was doing.

[CARL WHIMPERING]

Why are you here?

Don't lie.

- I came to help you.
- You're lying.

Bitch. Whore.

Cunt!

You sound like your father.

[CARL SCOFFS]

[DISTORTED VOICE]
He was nothing. He is nothing.

Who told you to say that?

Do you remember the first time
he talked to you?

Were you in water?
Maybe you went swimming.

It was my baptism.

My father, he pushed me under.

I think I had some kind of seizure.

I think I was drowning,
and everybody just looked at me.

Nobody helped me. Nobody.

Except him.

My father...

...he took me home that night
and he broke three of my ribs...

...and fractured my jaw.

I was 6 years old.

Carl.

What your father did to you is evil.

What he did to you was wrong.

- He treated you like a thing.
- No.

He was more powerful than me.

No. No one should be treated like that.

[CARL GRUNTING]

Is that right?

In what world do you live in?

- Carl, where is Julia Hickson?
- No.

No names.

No names!

Where is she?

I know you, Carl. You wanna tell me.

[IN DISTORTED VOICE]
You know me?

You know who I am?

Where is she?

Where's Julia?

Where's Julia, Carl?

[GRUNTS]

- Miriam.
- Mm-hm?

That can't be right.

[COMPUTER BEEPING]

MIRIAM:
Danger pulse.

- No change.
- Christ.

- What about emergency cessation?
- No.

Gradually terminate the feed,
disable the receptors--

It could lead to massive shock.
Could you please shut that thing off?

What's going on?

HENRY:
That hypothetical situation I told you about.

- It's happening.
NOVAK: Can't you stop it?

It's not that simple.

- You stopped it before--
- Yes, that was different. That was Edward.

With Stargher, his mind
is unfamiliar territory and she's lost.

- She thinks this is real.
NOVAK: Anything we can do?

Whatever we do runs the risk
of making things worse for her.

NOVAK:
Worse. That's great. So she's lost somewhere?

Henry.

- No.No.
- No, what?

I need you here.

[YELLS]

Fucking stop! Stop! Stop!

Let me the fuck out!

[SHOUTING INDISTINCTLY]

Let me the fuck out.
Let me out!

Get me out, you sick fuck!

Fuck you! Let me out.

Do something. Do something to end this.

Do some-- Do something.

[SOBBING]

I got bugs crawling all over my body.

It gets worse.

You're completely unprepared for this.

- Dr. Kent, we've been over all this.
- Yes, but I've been through the process.

She went through the process too
and it didn't matter.

You don't know him.

Okay.

Be lucky.

Come on, guys.

[BARKS]

Ready?

Uh, Peter, the first few minutes...

...will be very disorienting.

Remember to stay calm and focused.

Instincts play a very important part here,
so trust them.

- We have to go.
- Yeah. All right.

Peter, you've read her file.

Hit her with something personal.

And remember, Peter, it's not real.

[NOVAK BREATHING HEAVILY]

[VOICES SHOUTING IN DISTANCE]

[GASPS]

What the fuck?

Have you seen him? My boy? My little one?

- His father took him from me.
- I spit him out my hole. Big deal.

- Don't mean I can't take care of him.
- My child's an abomination. He has no soul.

Okay.

Catherine.

Is that you? You all right?

Catherine.

CATHERINE [THINKING]: Peter.
- Listen to me.

Poor Peter.

This isn't real.

CATHERINE:
Did daddy do a bad thing?

NOVAK [THINKING]:
Catherine, please listen to me.

CATHERINE:
Peter Novak.

NOVAK:
I Work With the FBI.

I'm here to find Julia Hickson.

CATHERINE:
Don't be scared.

[SCREAMS]

This isn't real.

You remember that?

Catherine, listen to me.

Catherine.

[CARL HUMMING]

Catherine.

Catherine, you gotta try to remember.

Do you remember Edward?

Catherine.

[VULTURE SQUAWKING]

[CONTINUES HUMMING]

Talk to me for a sec.

Naughty worm.

[SCREAMING]

Fuck you! Fuck you, motherfucker!

[SQUEALING]

Catherine, wake the fuck up now!

[MUSIC BOX PLAYING
AND CARL HUMMING]

[NOVAK SCREAMING]

[SINGS INDISTINCTLY]

Catherine!

When you were in college...

...your baby brother had a car accident!

He was in a coma for six months
before he died!

And I'm sorry for saying that!

But you gotta wake up!

God!

It's not real.

It's not real.

"It's not real! It's not real! Not real!

Not real! Not real!"

[CARL GRUNTS]

[SCREAMING]

[SCREAMING]

Peter.

- It's okay.
- What the fuck happened?

[COUGHING]

Where are we?

CATHERINE:
Oh, my God.

Is this where he keeps them?

Carl. Oh, it's okay.

NOVAK:
Julia.

CATHERINE:
Don't be scared.

I would never hurt you. I'm your friend.

And Peter, he's a friend too.

Do you know where this place is?
Like on a map?

Mm.

CATHERINE:
I am so proud of you.

Even if Peter doesn't find Julia...

...I promise I will come back and help you.
- Catherine!

Catherine!

- What are you doing?
- Let's go.

- Carl.
- I saw her. I know how to find Julia.

- I just can't leave him here!
- Goddamn it, Catherine, let's go!

CATHERINE: Carl!
- I know how to find her.

- No! Carl.
- We gotta go back. We're running out of time.

CATHERINE:
No!

NOVAK: Let's go back! Please!
- I'll come back for you, Carl!

- I promise I'll come back!
NOVAK: Catherine, we gotta go now!

RAMSEY: That means he's back.
MIRIAM: How's Catherine?

[NOVAK COUGHS]

Take it easy, Peter.

Is she okay?

[NOVAK CONTINUES COUGHING]

Take it easy, Peter. Just breathe.

- Is she okay?
- Yeah, I think she is.

Can you get me out of this fucking suit?

[SHOUTING INDISTINCTLY]

[CHATTERING]

[CELL PHONE RINGING]

Let me get this.

- Yeah, Cole here.
- Cole, it's Novak.

Yeah, what's up?

I want you to go down
to the basement...

...at Stargher's workplace
and call me when you get down there.

- They haven't finished the grid.
- Fuck the grid.

- Call me when you get there.
RAMSEY: You okay?

- I'm fine.
- What happened in there?

- Oh, fuck.
- You in pain?

- What happened, Peter?
- Fuck. I saw her.

- Who?
- I know where to find her.

- Who?
- Julia. I know where to find her.

Okay. Why don't you come
and, uh, let Dr. Kent have a look at you?

Pete?

[CELL PHONE RINGS]

- Cole?
- Yeah, this is Cole. Uh...

Now, what am I doing down here?

That machine that he uses,
there's a hoist.

I want you to look for a, uh, plaque...

...or a metal plate
with some sort of logo on it.

Yeah, I got it.

Uh, it's Carver industrial equipment...

...in, uh, Bakersfield, California.

Okay. I want you to find out
every goddamn thing...

...that you can about that machine.

Who used it, who sold it, who bought it.

Just find out everything you can.

I'm gonna call you from the chopper
in about 20 minutes.

MIRIAM:
All right, let me have a look. Good.

That's good.

HENRY: The FBI has left the building.
- What?

I haven't had a chance to clear Novak!

HENRY:
What did you expect me to do?

[BREATHING HEAVILY]

HENRY: There's no way I could stop him.
CATHERINE: Go.

- I'm okay. Mm-hm.
- Are you sure? Let me have a look.

Come on.

Okay.

- All right.
- Okay.

Okay.

RAMSEY:
Peter, just talk to me.

What if your mind
is playing tricks on you?

They shot you full of drugs, Peter.
Who knows if what you saw is real?

Catherine?

Catherine, open this door.

Catherine.

CATHERINE: I promise...
HENRY: What are you doing?

- ...I'm gonna help you.
HENRY: No.

Do not jeopardize your career.

You're not authorized to be here,
you know that.

It's dangerous. What are you doing?

[BARKING]

HENRY: Miriam.
- What's she doing?

- You know what she's doing.
MIRIAM: For Christ's sake.

Catherine! Jesus.

HENRY:
She's changed the codes. You can't get in.

What happened?

- She reversed the feeds.
RAMSEY: What does that mean?

The process is intended
for her to go into his mind.

But instead, she's bringing him into hers.

Come on!

[PEACOCK WAILS]

I promised I'd come back and help you.

See, I always keep my promises.

Can I stay here with you?

No, honey, I'm sorry.
It doesn't work that way.

There's nothing I can do about that.

CARL [IN ADULT VOICE]:
Yes, there is.

When I was a little boy...

...I found this bird.

And he was injured...

...had a broken leg or something.

Well, my father found out that I had it.

And I knew that he would
do something horrible to it.

It was just a matter of time.

So I took it to the sink and I held it under.

It was better for the bird.

I saved him.

I can't do that, Carl.

I won't.

It doesn't matter.

He found me.

He always finds me.

[WAILING]

Agent Novak? Go ahead.

- Cole?
COLE: Yeah, Novak, listen to this.

The hoist was sold
to a guy named Bainbridge...

...who tried to build a machine works
out near Delano.

Bainbridge ends up in bankruptcy court
and the state winds up with the land.

And guess who they hire
to seal the place up.

- Oh, you're fucking kidding me.
- No. I'm not the kidding type.

Carl Rudolph Stargher.

- Where's the land?
- Exit 10, off Highway 99.

- We're on our way now.
- Got it. I know where that is.

[GRUNTS]

Help! Help me!

PILOT:
This is the area.

CATHERINE [THINKING]:
My world, my rules.

[YELLS]

[GRUNTING]

Do it.

It's not real.

[BOTH GRUNTING]

Me-god boy-

Boy me-god.

[CARL LAUGHS]

You cannot kill me.

[WHIRRING]

It's okay.

Save me.

You can stay here with me.

Hey. Hey!

Hey! It's okay.

It's okay. It's okay.
You've gotta back away.

Swim to the back. Back away!
Back up from here. Back up!

[BREATHING HEAVILY]

Henry.

[BREATHING HEAVILY]

It's okay.

Are you okay? You okay?

You're okay. You're okay. Hey. Hey.
You're okay.

[JULIA CRYING]

[WHIMPERING]

[PANTING]

[SOBBING]

[CRYING]

MAN [OVER RADIO]: Agent Ramsey?
- Yeah, Ramsey.

MAN:
She's here.

RAMSEY:
Okay, let her through.

Somebody outside for you.

What is she doing here?

Said she wanted to see his home.

NOVAK:
It's pretty strange.

She's keeping his dog.

Pretty fucking strange
is par for the course.

I almost didn't recognize you.

How long do you get to be a civilian?

A couple weeks...

...until after the inquiry
and see what happens.

Ramsey told me
you were thinking of, uh...

What do you call that thing?

- Reversal?
- Reversal.

- With the, uh, kid you were working with?
- Yeah. Edward.

Edward.

Are you sure you wanna do that?

Absolutely.

You're not worried
about what might happen?

I would never do anything to hurt Edward.

It wasn't him I was worried about.

What about you? How are you?

I'm not sure. I...

I kind of remember pieces of everything.

According to the FBI, um...

...you guys put me
on some drug-fueled mind-bender...

...which then, uh, triggered a memory
I already had...

...and officially we found Julia Hickson...

...through good old-fashioned detective work.

I guess this is hello and goodbye, then.

I guess so.

Thanks for everything, Catherine.

[SCHOOL BELL RINGS]

[CHILDREN YELLING]


0 comments:

Post a Comment

More

Art

Search